Lewisville Lake is a reservoir located in North Texas on the Elm Fork of the Trinity River in Denton County near Lewisville. Originally engineered in 1927 as Lake Dallas, the reservoir was expanded in the 1940s and 1950s and renamed Lewisville Lake.
About Lewisville Lake
Lewisville lake was built for flood control purposes and to serve as a water source for Dallas and its suburbs, but residents also use it for recreational purposes. It is the second lake to impound the waters of the Elm Fork of the Trinity River in this area. The W.E. Callahan Construction Company completed the Garza Dam in 1927 at a cost of $5 million, which created Lake Dallas. The dam was 10,890 feet (3,320 m) long with a 567-foot (173 m) long service spillway. The lake, with its 194,000-acre-foot (239,000,000 m3) capacity and forty-three miles of shoreline, served as the principal municipal water source for the city of Dallas for 31 years. In the 1940s, a need for increased water storage capacity and additional flood control became apparent. Wikipedia